Warning

WARNING: Blogs may also feature cool tumbler post Russ has shared. Visit the original Tumblr for Rip 'Em System.

Saturday, August 8, 2020

CM Punk: The Seeds for a “No Holds Barred” Remake

With the announcement that CM Punk will be writing for the “Thor” comic books, I was kind of confused. It’s one of those, “I guess it can work, but I don’t know why it should moment.”
The Second City Saint has only wrestled. We are all aware of his fandom for comic books, but had he ever done anything to indicate that he aspired to write for them. The WWE’s documentary “CM Punk: Best in the World” focused on his love for punk rock. “ROH Straight Shootin’ Series: CM Punk and Colt Cabana,” made no mention of his literary (Time Magazine listed “Watchmen” in the top 100 of important literature since the magazine’s inception) intentions. Of course Cabana’s not a comic book guy, so maybe they were mentioned in the shoot interview with Samoa Joe. At least I’ll have something to write about next week.
Name Dropping:
My experience with Punk was during the one week he had left with the WWE Championship in 2011 at an AAW show he would eventually make a cameo at, which WWE prevented from being released on DVD. We didn’t talk about comics. I was just the guy who he asked about who the guys were that were wrestling as we watched on a small TV in the back, and whom he gave a nasty look when I called a shoulder breaker “vintage Scott Norton.” In my defense, I had withdrawn from WWE for their treatment of women, ironically through Michael Cole, and I forgotten that vintage is as valid a term as “what a maneuver.”
To pile on the typical nerd stereotype, how were we to know he practiced writing original stuff? If he doesn’t have his own characters, why does a nerd get to write for the God of Thunder. The typical nerd just complains…or writes crappy, scarcely shared fanfiction. And who cares about the typical nerds who aren’t focused on only getting into the comic book business? I suggest no one since I doubt Kevin Smith was asked to write for DC and Marvel until after his success on the big screen. Smith may had to have also proved that his comics about his characters could sell.
Yes. A lot of the rant sounds like The Justice League talking shit about The Avengers. I was trying to pull out a more clever variant on the old kitchenware adage, but the first thing that came to mind was Star Wars Fans and Trekkies. That doesn’t work since Star Wars kicks the dookie (yes this is another NHB blog) out of Trek. Imagine how awesome “The Force Awakens” is going to be based on this premise.
Maybe I’m not a nerd because I approve of the concept of gungans (it’s impossible not to shoot those CG humanoids, in more ways than one) so I’m not much for complaining. On the flip side, my instructors at college were advocates for my criticism of film, so I may just be protective of certain visions.
And I’ve come around to believing that Punk will have that vision. It would be hypocritical for me not to.
The entire character of CM Punk was brilliant. It’s a character that he created, and had 14 years of success with (the number is based on the fall of ECW and rise of Punk [BP/AP if he welcomes a god complex]). Since he proved it could work with plenty of immediate nay sayers, there’s a great chance he can carry someone who is established (thus the fall of the New Nexus, lack of established characters). How can we not embrace The Summer of Thor?
Perhaps his entire career existed to write comic books. I suggest this because I want to rewrite bad movies that I love, or the films some aspiring actresses loved (and had me watch the while leaving me at the plate with bat on my shoulder [what is th base should I have rounded for watching “Biodome” and “Hudson Hawk]), and make them into good flicks.
"Main Event of the Dead: The Screenplay” (get the treatment by emailing russthebus07@gmail.com) was written because it can be produced quickly and for next to and nothing, should be funny enough to conquer it’s short comings, but most importantly, gets my name out there as someone who can do great things with characters.
I would like to think that the script isn’t my best because it is a B-Movie, but with the lack of success as an indie wrestler, the indie screenplays based around my experiences may not have what it takes to demand seven-figure budgets. But if I could fix, “No Holds Barred,” maybe I can attach the personal films to the contract.
Should I start working on a treatment now? It’ll at least give my tumblr “Rip ‘em System” some material.
Maybe I should have called this blog “Chasing #Dookie.”

Salik Armar - Pinterest
Salik Armar - Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Holds Barred: Vince McMahon’s Mein Kampf

The title and content of this blog is satirical. I do not believe there is any evidence to suggest that the McMahon family or WWE Inc. (wh...